- 1 cup pearled Farro (if not pearled, cooking time doubles)
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 7 Tbsp olive oil, separated
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachio nuts
- 2 Tbsp minced sweet onion
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh chives
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3-4 slices of prosciutto
- 1/4 cup aged chow cheese (like Parmesan)
In a medium saucepan bring farro, apple cider, water salt, and bay leaves to a simmer. Simmer until farro is tender and liquid evaporates (about 30minutes). If liquid evaporates befor farro is done, add a little more water. Cool and discard bay leaves.
Fry prosciutto over medium heat in 1 Tbsp olive oil for a few minutes, until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain and then crumble.
Whisk together lemon juice and salt in a salad bowl. Whisk in remaining 6 Tbsp of olive oil. Add farro, pistachios, minced onions, minced chives, parsley, and parmesan. Salad is best served at room temperature.